January 8, 2018

Edmonton Seniors Pride Group Notes at SAGE – Jan 8, 2018

Attendees: Dave Gilbert, Larry Jewell, Blair MacKinnon, Michael Phair, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader, Colin Simpson, Robert Smith, Eric Story, Laurie Winder.

Regrets: Sydney Goss (on leave), Tammy Horne, Thais McKee,

 

  1. Welcome new member Laurie Winder from the Ashbourne and welcome to Bernice Sewel and Lisa Neill from the Pegasus Project.

 

  1. Pegasus Project – Lisa and Bernice from SAGE gave an overview of the inception and operation of the growing Pegasus Project. The purpose of Pan-Edmonton Group Addressing Isolation in Seniors (PEGASIS) project is to reduce social isolation among Edmonton seniors. This work is accomplished by increasing the number of socially isolated seniors who: have help and support when they need it; participate regularly in activities; feel connected with others; and feel valued in their communities. Sage is one member of the PEGASIS collective impact initiative, along with the Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers, Edmonton Seniors Coordinating Council, Edmonton Southside Primary Care Network, Greater Edmonton Foundation Seniors Housing, Drive Happiness, and Westend Seniors Activity Centre. The members discussed coordination options with ESPG. Larry, Blair and Colin will meet regularly with Pegasus. Larry will coordinate with Lisa to set up meetings. Robert will explore opportunities with Landlord and Tenant branch.

 

  1. Housing Feasibility Study – Robert reported on the 3 meetings that have occurred to date. Blair gave an overview of the 4 options of housing and the template that will be used with the focus group. Jan reported on recruitment of focus group participants to date and encouraged all members to contact possible participants and forward names and emails of interested people to Jan. We are looking for

20 people willing to take part in a focus group that would be interested in talking about GLBTQ seniors alternative housing options.  Probably two (​2 1/2 hour) sessions mid-February to mid-March.  It is preferred that these participants are actually interested in this type of housing (sincere demand).

Laurie Winder will join this committee. Colin will advertise this on facebook.  Space is available at both the Pride Centre and the Ashbourne.

 

  1. 2017 Intergenerational Project – Ann Goldblat sent the final report and summary to all participants of the project. Michael advised that Todd has completed the script and is working with Owen for the video. The project is complete except for these two pieces.  The city will provide the printing and design for the booklet/pamphlet.

 

  1. 2018 Generational Conversations Project – Michael advised that the $5,000 grant has been received. Ann is interested. The group wishes to continue working with Ann. Suggest a couple of sessions at either the Ashbourne or Pride Centre. May include some participants from those centres.  Pflag may be another source of senior alies.  Will probably be staging a couple of people to video after the session rather that video the whole session.  Michael will draw up a contract for Ann.  Thais and David will head this committee.

 

  1. GEF – Michael and Eric met. A new centre will be opened in March. Canora Gardens has been rebuilt. Our group will be involved in reviewing the policy and procedures, delivering the education models with senior on site staff, help with preparation of brochure for all residents moving in.  Laurie is available to assist.

 

  1. Website update – Eric has registered the website espg.ca. He handed out a draft of the website map. See attached and sorry, Jan wrote on her copy.  Send comments to Eric.

 

  1. City and Sage updates – to be discussed at the next meeting.

 

  1. Other

– Stephen Quinn is no longer at the Edmonton General and is unable to continue with the group.

– Michael will update us next meeting on the Gay Straight Alliance Coordinating Council and our seniors which took place before Christmas.

– Alvin is participating in and informal advisory group with the seniors advocate office.

– Continuing care has put a document together.

– Michael Phair school opening on Monday Jan 22/18

 

Next Meeting – NEXT MEETING – Monday Feb 12, 2018 at 4:30 at SAGE.  Then March 5/18

Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz

18 01 08 Pride Intergenerational Dialogue Report, November 2017 18 01 08 Pride Intergenerational Dialogue, Summary Report, December 2017

18 01 08 website road map