April 9, 2018

Edmonton Pride Seniors Group Notes at SAGE – Apr 9, 2018

Attendees: Dave Gilbert, Tammy Horne, Larry Jewell, Ken MacDonald, Thais McKee, Michael Phair, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader, Robert Smith.

Regrets: Sydney Goss (on leave), Blair MacKinnon, Colin Simpson, Eric Story, Dawn Wenzel, Laurie Winder

  1. Welcome and Introductions – Welcome to Ken MacDonald.

 

  1. Intergenerational booklet/video – Michael has an unedited copy of the video and it will be distributed to the EPSG members shortly. The city is doing the final editing on the booklet and video. It would be timely if a finished product was ready for the next community conversations project.

This is the link to the 5 minute unedited version.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z5mldmj7n2VVkg1viC3hVf2f7da8ZTms/view

  1. Housing Feasibility Study Update – Robert reported that Age Friendly Edmonton is expecting a report on the 15th of May. Diana O’Donoghue (who is back on our project) has been contacted about a possible extension because of the late start of the study. We realized that we would not have time to deliver the outputs and outcomes as outlined in the proposal (architect, design, acquiring land etc). We have decided that the timeline and deliverables for the project will change and that there may be approximately $29,000 (not final as we have not had any indication if Communitas will be changing the amounts they have proposed as their fee) returned to Age Friendly Edmonton. We will complete the report with another conversation with the participants putting forward two concrete project models based on the input they have given us already. Communitas will put together models based on the information below as well as a costing on the proposals. After we have established the final assessment of the participants Communitas will put together their findings and we will assemble a report for Age Friendly Edmonton.  The next group conversation is scheduled for May 12, 2018 from 1 to 3:30 at the Pride Centre. It would be ideal if age friendly would allow the funds to stay with us for part 2 of the project.  Private sector options providing LGBTQ2S housing should be included in the report.  The first invoice from Communitas has been processed.
  2. Community Conversations Project – Thais reported that the group has met a couple of times. May 5 with be the conversation day.

11:30 to 2:30 at Ashbourne and 4 to 7 at the pride centre.  Looking for 12 seniors and 12 youth at each.  Focus will be on advocating, how we stick up for each other. Linda Endsley has taken over at the General Seniors group and advises there are 10-12 seniors who do use the centre.  Thais will meet with Linda tomorrow.

Michael suggested Owen videotaping after each session for our EPSG records.

 

  1. Website update – postponed till next meeting. (epsg.ca)

 

  1. Pegasis and Sage – Larry met with Lisa Neil and Colleen (SAGE) last week and reviewed their power point presentation for inclusive language. Pegasis works on seniors isolation issues. They are looking at 1) reaching isolated seniors by targeting family and loved ones. 2) a presentation to Prime Timers. 3) Southside Primary Care Center will do a without walls session on LGBTQ2S issues with their telephone call in program. Larry will approach Linda Endsley.

 

  1. GEF Presentations – Eric, Thais and Michael used the new education module and presented to the GEF staff of Kenora and one of the other centres. The session was well received. The senior GEF people there were pleased.  One of the GEF coordinators has requested more sessions.  We are now on our way in with the GEF.  It was the influence of the chair of the GEF board that paved the rocky way for this education of the GEF staff.

Formal Evaluation of our work is required. Also required is Follow up with people who have taken the training and see how things have been applied.

 

  1. Next Initiatives – Something with the LGBTQ2s community with regards to our seniors. How can we be more inclusive?.

Hire someone to review what is out there.  Have our service providers involved. Coordinate.  Scan and update.

 

  1. Other

City and lgbtq2s session – postponed till next meeting

 

Next Meeting – Monday May 7, 2018 at 4:30 at SAGE. – Robert and Larry sends regrets.

NEXT NEXT MEETING – June 4/18

Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz