August 14, 2017

Edmonton Pride Seniors Group Notes at SAGE – Aug 14, 2017

Attendees: Dave Gilbert, Tammy Horne, Blair MacKinnon, Thais McKee, Michael Phair, Stephen Quinn, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader, Eric Story.

Guests: Ann Goldblat, Laura Alston, Owen Brierley, Todd Babiak

Regrets: Julian Daly, Sydney Goss (on leave), Larry Jewell, Robert Smith

 

  1. Welcome to Special Guests

 

  1. Minutes from July 10, 2017 Meeting – no changes

 

3 Conversation Sessions Project–Older GLBTQ Persons and GSA Youth

 

Summary of Project Proposal—Michael gave a summary of the proposal to the City for Age Friendly Edmonton consisting of a story book and a 2-3 minute video.  Ann Goldblat was contracted to carry out the conversation between the older GLBTQ and the GSA Youth.  Thais and Dave headed the project.  The conversations were held and photographed and videotaped.

 

Overview of the Conversation Sessions—Ann Goldblatt Lauren and Thaya – see attached Intergenerational Dialogue July 5, 2017 notes.

Summary of the Sessions (preliminary view)—Ann – see attached Intergenerational Dialogue July 5, 2017 notes.

 

Todd Babiak of Story Engine Inc. working with the City of Edmonton and City publications—Todd will prepare the storybook for both the city and the committee to use.  He will meet with a few of the committee members individually for further information.  The members discussed who the ideal audience will be and that the city has the ability to reach a broader population and can encourage those they fund to embrace the message. Todd will share the photographs taken at the conversation.

 

Owen Brierley, Edmonton Digital Arts College and city video—Owen will prepare the video.  Additional shooting will be required as the sound quality at the conversation was not the best.  He will work this out with Todd, Ann and Lauren.

 

Next Steps – the members discussed the education kit for seniors residences and that intergeneration worked and maybe useful with the residences. The project showed that the kids want to be included, the seniors want to be committed and it worked. Our project reinforces age friendly Edmonton.  There is good evaluating material in the report – 13 to 16.  Great Job everyone.

 

  1. Other

– GEF – Eric and Michael met with the senior management team to discuss gender messaging and our module.  Kenora Gardens would make a great starting residence for the staff training.

– Calgary – Michael had no update from the Sharp Foundation at this time.

– Randy Boissonault –  -Michael and Alvin – sent email expression of interest but have not received a response yet.

– Continuing Care Collaborative –Alvin, Larry and Michael will present at the Sept 8 CC Collaborative

– Ashburn celebration – Since the celebration, Ashburn has sent a thank you to Lori Siegurdson for her public speaking and Lori has responded by asking Ashburn what needs to be done to complete this goal.  They are meeting August 31/17 to discuss.

– There may be a need in the future to put something together that is aimed at the GLBTQ community on what things you might look for to self advocate for your senior residence.

– The next project is the feasibility study on housing.

– Eric has redone the education package.  Tami and Thais will assist with the review.

 

Next Meeting – September 11 (Monday) at SAGE at 4:30

Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz