LGBTT Seniors Housing Notes at SAGE – July 27, 2015
Attendees: Dave Gilbert, Larry Jewell, Thais McKee, Michael Phair, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader , Robert Smith, Eric Story,
Regrets: Julian Daly, Alexis Hillyard, Mickey Wilson
- Minutes from June 15 – no changes
- Project—Materials development/Training
- Hiring process – Alvin reviewed applicant resumes and screened three candidates. Eric, Robert, and Thais interviewed the candidates. Christy Harcourt has accepted the position and will begin the first week of August.
- Sage support – Roger Lange has shown options for work spaces. Michael will work with Roger to ensure money is available, a payout schedule and if there are funds for workshop expenses.
- Supervision etc. – Eric and Jan will meet with Christy next week to review work completed to date.
- Information on materials – Robert has information materials to provide to the existing library stored by Jan.
- Other – Congratulations and thank you to all. It is Sherry McKibbens birthday today and hiring a staff member on this date is a remarkable feat.
- Marginalized Committee aka LGBTQ Seniors Housing Sub Committee of Marginalized Persons
- Update – Dave and Judy Moore met. Agreed on 6 definitions
- Low economic
- Non Caucasians including native
- Persons with major health issues and differently abled
- Non binary gender section including cross dressing population
Future activities include
1) Contact knowledgeable people in the community,
2) use social media,
3) Physical posters where seniors amalgamate
Various committee members suggested: seniors on the move for cost of posters, Connect of Aging newsletters, 6 senior centers, Lions, bulletin boards at select grocery stores, using outreach as possible language.
- Alzheimer input – Michael has volunteered to assist
- Long term options
- Covenant Program/Grant – possible source of funding. Michael and Alvin will meet on Thursday to explore options
- Pegasis Project/Grant – another possible source. Sage is working with Edm Pride Centre. Possible to fit within their scope. Funding to be issued before election.
- Other – Feasibility study completed on Seniors ride share app. Originally the study was targeting single seniors needing assistance. Study showed there are usually 4 – 7 key people who tend to the needs and those helpers want the app. Sage board will study further.
– Social Planning Council session was discussed.
– Sherry McKibben Mojito Golf annual fundraiser – Aug 28 at Countryside Golf Course at 2: pm. Dinner and silent auction to follow if you don’t wish to golf. Please promote.
- Next Meeting – September 9th at 5pm. Location to be announced.
Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz