Edmonton Pride Seniors Group Notes at SAGE – June 4, 2018
Attendees: Dave Gilbert, Tammy Horne, Larry Jewell, Blair MacKinnon, Thais McKee, Michael Phair, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader, Robert Smith, Eric Story, Laurie Winder.
Regrets: Sydney Goss (on leave), Ken MacDonald, Colin Simpson,
- Welcome and Introductions
- Housing Feasibility Study Update – Robert advised the third conversation was held on May 12/18. Attendance was low as the first day of summer finally arrived. The group was able to refine ideas on the two preferred types – congregate and traditional transitional. Both types had a component of community rather than an institutional focus. Additional conversations groups will be held to discuss target pricing and developing a model with the intent to hire an architect and create a design. The meeting times will be moved from Saturday
to a weeknight during the summer months.
- Community Dialogue Sessions
– Intergeneration Ideas follow up – Anne Goldblatt summarized and categorized 4 pages of potential follow-up activities suggested by Intergenerational Participants . Lauren from GSA has offered to advise volunteer organizers. Blair and Dave will facilitate a planning session with volunteers who indicated they would help organize future activities for Intergen participants. June 6 session at Pride Centre from 5 to 6 pm. Actually 5 volunteers attended.
- Website – Jan and Eric have connected.
- Provincial and National Gathering – Michael advised the Calgary group has applied for $ from New Horizons for a gathering in Alberta. He wanted a letter of support which Michael provided. This gathering, if funded will be in late August or September.
Tami and Michael will work on national funding money in July.
- New Initiative (Edmonton Community Foundation) – Michael and Ken Macdonald met to develop ideas for next initiative for EPSG to work on. The focus will be on the 30 to 50 year olds. The members discussed caring, supporting, being friends, hanging out with older people, tying it to an existing institution, including other organizations as part of the proposal, male lens, aids history, female lens. Ashborne could apply as a backup.
Larry, Alvin and Blair are meeting with South Side Primary Care Network (Pegasis) representative on June 20 at 2pm at Sunterra in Manuallife Place. Seniors center without walls uses a telephone system.
The Alberta Health Center Continuing Care brochure has gone to editorial.
Edmonton Vocal Minority Concert is 8pm. Saturday June 16 at the bus barns.
Pride Week – June 7 to 17, 2018
Next Meeting – July 9/18
Next Next Meeting if required – August 13/18
Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz