June 5, 2017

Edmonton Pride Seniors Group Notes at SAGE – June 5, 2017

Attendees: Dave Gilbert, Larry Jewell, Thais McKee, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader, Robert Smith, Eric Story.

Regrets: Julian Daly, Sydney Goss, Tammy Horne, Michael Phair, Stephen Quinn

  1. Welcome –

 

  1. Minutes (May 1/17 Meeting) – no changes.

 

  1. St. Catherine, Ontario has Senior Pride Network Niagara organization and Alvin will contact them.

 

  1. EGALE – no news at this time.

 

  1. Greater Edmonton Foundation Board (GEF) – Eric attended the Ashbourne (Assisted Living) opening. Randy Boissonnault and Linda Duncan were in attendance. Randy would like to talk to our group.  Eric will make arrangements

There are 3800 seniors based in GEF. Eric pitched two to three building presentations to GEF to capture comparison data and expects GEF will follow up in the fall. Eric is creating a list of contacts for the sept/oct chats.

 

  1. Learning Module – Sydney and Eric continue to work on the module updates.
  2. Intergenerational Project – Thais met with Lauren who handles GSAs with ISMAS to target the youth for our project. July 5 has been chosen. Participants will be given a choice of session 12-3 or 4 -7. Thais has been in touch with the participants. The city report is due at the end of the year.

8 Advancing Age Friendly Edmonton meetings – Robert attended the first one and made contact with Susan Morrison, ED at Edmonton Social Planning Council.  This would be a good organization for future partnerships.

No one available for June 6.  Robert will attend June 22.

Robert will send the links for the City of Edmonton Age Friendly report.

 

  1. Alberta Seniors Ministry

Michael is currently attending the Interprovincial Minister’s Secretariat in Montreal.

He is also attending the Alberta Senior Consultation on June 16.

 

  1. Feasibility Study – Robert advised that Ingrid from the city has requested an RFP. Lynn Hannley from Communitas Group will be the consultant on this project and has prepared a big portion of this report. Just waiting for the timeline portion.  Karen McDonald ED of SAGE will prepare other portions of the report.  The report will look at two models.  1) collective and 2) affordable housing model. Our group does not want to build it or manage it, just to see it get done.  There are a few sources of potential funding available.

The members discussed the option of school sites and the confusing messaging given from the city.

 

  1. Other – Happy Pride.

The Sherry McKibben Mojito Golf Tournament is on Friday June 23 at Countryside Golf Club – https://www.facebook.com/mojitogolf/

Edmonton Vocal Minority pride performance on Sunday June 18 at 4:pm at the Timms Center for the Arts. http://www.evmchoir.com/

The Strawberry Tea will be at SAGE on Thursday June 15 from 1 to 3.

 

Next Meeting July 10, 4:30pm at SAGE

Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz