November 27, 2017

Edmonton Pride Seniors Group Notes at SAGE – Nov 27, 2017

Attendees: Ann Goldblatt, Tammy Horne, Larry Jewell, Blair MacKinnon, Thais McKee, Michael Phair, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader, Colin Simpson, Eric Story.

Regrets: Dave Gilbert, Sydney Goss (on leave), Stephen Quinn, Robert Smith

  1. Welcome to Colin Simpson from the Edmonton Pride Centre.

 

  1. Intergenerational Conversations Report – Ann Goldblatt gave a recap of the positive experience keeping in mind our original intention was to reach people more vulnerable. 20 or so would like further involvement and there was a desire to move deeper.

Implications – Ann reviewed the summary notes (see attached). Involvement from three sources 1) people who express interest 2) new people who couldn’t make it, or bring a friend types, 3) older adults in senior’s facilities through scheduled programs.  Intermediaries can advise.  Use facilities that are open, possibly Ashburn or Edm General Group could possible pilot.

Purpose – ask feedback from people who came, invite 5 or 6 to the next round table with the youth – Dec 20. A volunteer is needed to coordinate with Lauren.  Also to keep the original participates up to date.

The ice breaker question – one thing we were surprised about our generation could be a basis for a safe exchange.  The members discussed sending a copy of the report to the participants, sending photos, attending the rainbow connection community potluck, Original email list is between Thais, Ann and Lauren, GSA debate seems over now that the legislation has passed, the report will be sent to the city, and Michael is following up with Todd and Owen on the storybook and video.

 

  1. Community Conversations: Older and Younger LGBTQ2S Persons application to the city for funding (attached). – Michael worked with Ann on the application. This application builds on the first project. Want to do a session at Pride Centre and Ashborne videoing a few willing people to make comments on the session – 3 to 4 minutes.

Further to the meeting and the email is attached, the application was approved.

 

  1. Housing Feasibility Study – Jan, Blair and Colin reported on the project. An extension on the report has been granted. The group met on Nov 16.  Lynn Hanley is putting together a couple of potential models for our discussion at the next Dec 7th meeting.  Lynn stressed that we want to talk to people who are very interested in living in the space should it get developed.  We are still going to reach out for low income and indigenous people.  The members discussed diverse rather that a gay ghetto, having an effect on people presently living in accommodations, intergenerational seniors group willing to participate.

 

  1. Learning module –

Video – Meeting with Owen to discuss 3 to 4 minute video.  Run the same scenario twice, first with a negative implication, then again with a positive implication.  End on some of the things that have helped.

GEF – the CEO is a little hesitant to run a pilot project.  Michael and Eric will follow up.

 

  1. Website update – Michael met with Arthur Dyck. Proposal was approved for funding. Eric will follow up with Arthur with content details.

 

  1. Upcoming presentations/meetings

– Seniors Advisory Office – Alvin advised that we have been asked to present our module to their staff on Wed March 14 from 2 to 4.  Thais and Michal will present.

– Alberta Health Continuing Care – Michael and Larry are tag teaming these meetings, next one in January. They are looking for a kit they can distribute that would resonate with small town in the middle of nowhere.

 

  1. Other

The members discussed evaluation and understand it needs to be reviewed.

Minister’s Advisory forum – Michael went first and then Larry attended last Wednesday. Topics included Ageism, Participation of older workforce, and Aging in the community and affordable housing.  Karen McDonald from Sage discussed the Pegasus project (Fed Initiative reducing social isolation).  Larry recommends looking at the website conectingedmontonseniors.ca

The members discussed Sheila being a good contact for this. Larry will bring Karen’s recommendations to the Jan 8 meeting.

Calgary contact contacted Michael.  He is part of Outlinks and Sexual assault center.  He is coming to Edmonton Pride Center and hopefully can meet.  Confirms the bits and pieces around Calgary and no sole source overseeing this issue.

Feds giving an apology to the GayLesbian Military and Civic Service members on Tuesday.  Money has been set aside for a class action suit.  This apology has backing. It sends a message of inclusion going forward.  Pride Centre will be live streaming the coverage.

A good net flics coming out video the story of the son of a leading conversion therapy advocate.

 

Next Meeting – NEXT MEETING – Monday January 8, 2018 at 4:30 at SAGE

Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz

17 11 27 AFE Intergenerational Fund_Edmonton Pride Seniors Group_Nov 2017

17 11 27 grant approval

17 11 27 Intergenerational Summary Notes