November 5, 2018

Edmonton Pride Seniors Group Notes at SAGE – Nov 5, 2018

Attendees:  Larry Jewell, Blair MacKinnon, Thais McKee, Michael Phair, Quinn Posch, Jan Schmitz, Robert Smith, Eric Storey; Laurie Winder.

Regrets: Sydney Goss (on leave), Dave Gilbert, Tammy Horne, James Lavoy, Ken MacDonald, Alvin Schrader,

1. Welcome and Introductions – Welcome.

2. Housing Feasibility Study Update –Focus group met on Oct 27 at Comunitas. Firmed things up such as: rental development, Oliver, established guidelines, desired medical services,  desired quality of life services, individual amenities, reviewed price point.  Will look at an architect soon. Will look at potential partners.  Interim Report being written right now.  Next group meeting Dec 1 (12120 106 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5N 0Z2) from 1 to 330. 

3. Edmonton Community Foundation – Grant request for post boomer study not funded.

4. Federal Government Proposal – Suzanne with the Department of Seniors has set up a phone call with Ottawa and Winnipeg and Edmonton.  The agenda for the phone call is coming. Funding of the 3 cities project looks promising. Jan to put proposal on the website.

5. Website – Education module to be removed from website public access.  Eric will write an advertising blurb.

6. Nov 1 Senior Friendly Edmonton Ignite Session – 150 in attendance.  Michael and Eric spoke.  Well received. Eric is the chair of the diversity hub of Age Friendly Edmonton.

7. Other

Age friendly sent an email requesting participants for Friday afternoon Nov 30 to develop content for the survey on LGBTQ older adults need assessments.  Blair, Robert, Eric will attend.

Quinn advised Pride Centre has applied for an “aging well & community grant” for a senior outreach worker.  EPSG will be the advisory group for the application.  Quinn will circulate to the group by the end of the week.  Feed back required by the middle of next week.

Possible to consider post boomer project. 

Addictions (self medicating) may need to be a key word in this proposal. Position needs to be active in various functions in the city.  The new board has been working on building the infrastructure for the Pride Centre to be re branded and re built.  Jan 19 /18 is the Pride Gala at the Alberta Art Gallery.

Larry distributed copies of the “Seniors Without Walls”LGBTQ monthly phone in session.  Please advertise it.  Copy attached.  All members of EPSG are welcome to participate on the first Wednesday of the month from 4 to 4:30. Call 1.866.279.1594 at 4pm and enter passcode 381232# or to Speak with Programming Staff: 780.395.2626.

Thais discussed the format for the Nov 17 conference LGBTQ Youth.

Quinn discussed the Vital Signs grant.  Are GSAs safe spaces for youth.  Could explore safe spaces for Seniors.  Will meet with Bernice on Wed for discussion.

Next Meeting – 4:30 Dec 3/18 Larry sends regrets.

Next Next Meeting – 4:30 Jan 17/18

Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz

Attachments for November 18, 2018 Notes