November 25, 2013

LGBTT Seniors Housing Notes at SAGE   –      November 25, 2013 

Attendees: Thais McKee, Sherry McKibben, Michael Phair, Jan Schmitz, Robert Smith, Eric Story

Regrets: Julian Daly, Larry Jewell, David Ushko

  1. Welcome to Robert Smith

 

  1. Updates

Mission Statement

– Complete and inserted in funding report

 

York U senior services results

– Waiting for response

 

U of A Survey

– Dr. Kyle Whitfield uses a senor’s survey.  One of the questions asks if interest in LGBTQ support. Eric will continue discussions with Dr. Whitfield and will forward the study to the group

 

Ottawa Senior Pride

– Larry forwarded email from Marie Robertson outlining their success.  Ms Robertson is a good candidate for a guest speaker.

 

  1. Affiliations

Pride Centre

  • Sherry to follow up. Eric may be able to assist with contacting Mickey.

Womanspace

–  Jan and Sherry to follow up.

 

  1. Funding

Edmonton Seniors Coordinating Council:

– Michael will meet with funding committee on Wednesday.

– Informal application – 2-4 pages

– unique projects are encouraged to submit.

– Thais discussed that the work on the street is that they are entertaining proposals in January. – age friendly city is a dominant theme

– lots of senior’s publication material already available, may only need to add GLBTQ brochure

 

Proposal

– Sherry discussed the California GLBT facility previously distributed by email.

 

Sherry created and distributed 1st draft of the funding application.

– GREAT JOB everybody…and on time!!!

– use GLBTQ language

– symposium rather than conference

– demonstrate volunteer hours

– increase consultant hours for data analysis

– demonstrate contributions from other sources

– survey rather than needs assessment

– mission statement could be two sentences

 

  1. General Discussion:

 

– Name of Group is Pride Seniors Project

– All members to create a one sentence statement of who they are for the membership list and email it to Jan

– Expect project to be funded in January.

– David Ushko needs to be added to the email list (with apology)

– Sage may need to provide a formal letter of support.

– Symposium may be 60 – 80.  Invitees may include: all surveyed, affiliate groups, social    workers,  ismas (u of a), affirming churches etc.

– Potential consultants were discussed, wait until funding is secure

– Sherry will be leaving committee (snowbird) returning in April.  She is available by email.

 

Next Meeting – Monday January 21, 2014

 

Follow Up

Sherry – Revise draft of funding application and distribute by email to be reviewed by all.

Michael – Support letter from Sage (if required)

Michael – Cover letter for funding application

Jan – Prepare notes from meeting

Julian – create a one or two sentence statement of who they are for the membership list      for the funding proposal and email it to Jan by Dec 24.

Larry – create a one or two sentence statement of who they are for the membership list for            the funding proposal and email it to Jan by Dec 24.

Thais – create a one or two sentence statement of who they are for the membership list for            the funding proposal and email it to Jan by Dec 24.

Sherry – create a one or two sentence statement of who they are for the membership list      for the funding proposal and email it to Jan by Dec 24.

Michael – create a one or two sentence statement of who they are for the membership list      for the funding proposal and email it to Jan by Dec 24.

Jan – create a one or two sentence statement of who they are for the membership list for            the funding proposal and email it to Jan by Dec 24.

Robert – create a one or two sentence statement of who they are for the membership list      for the funding proposal and email it to Jan by Dec 24.

Eric – create a one or two sentence statement of who they are for the membership list for            the funding proposal and email it to Jan by Dec 24.

David – create a one or two sentence statement of who they are for the membership list      for the funding proposal and email it to Jan by Dec 24.

Jan – Prepare membership section for funding proposal

Jerry – World Pride Conference in Toronto in 2014

Julian – explore international options.

Larry  – Ottawa Senior Pride Network

Eric – York U – obtain survey information

Eric – U of A survey – obtain survey information

Sherry – Pride Centre potential affiliation

Jan/Sherry – Womonspace potential affiliation

Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz