Edmonton Pride Seniors Group Notes at SAGE – Aug 13, 2018
Attendees: Tammy Horne, Ann Goldblatt, Larry Jewell, Thais McKee, Michael Phair, Quinn Posch, Jan Schmitz, Robert Smith, Eric Story, Laurie Winder.
Regrets: Dave Gilbert, Sydney Goss (on leave), Ken MacDonald, Blair MacKinnon, Alvin Schrader,
- Welcome and Introductions – Welcome to Ann Goldblatt and Quinn Posch. Quinn is the new executive director of the Edmonton Pride Center. He started in early July 2018.
- Housing Feasibility Study Update – Robert advised the subcommittee met to discuss next steps. There is lots of information. Currently conducting a survey to look for more feedback to narrow the focus before a fourth group conversation is held in September. The subcommittee is meeting this Thursday morning. Google forms allows for more questions than survey monkey. The intent is to take the group information and turn it over to an architect to design for the formal report that is due to the city next May/June 2019.
- Intergenerational Dialogue Report – Ann Goldblatt reviewed the project and discussed the insights and processes in the report in detail. Michael discussed this being the last piece of this project and the report will be finalized and sent to the city. Michael will follow up with Dillion and Lauren. The ESPG thanked Ann for her great work on this project.
GEF (Eric and Michael) – Michael and Eric presented to the staff at Kenora Gardens in May. Now they have been asked to do a presentation to the residents of Kenora Gardens. GEF is important as it has a large portion of lower income residents with less power and more opportunity for experiencing bullying and disrespectful behavior.
Capital Care – Michael is meeting with 2 people from Capital Care next week to talk about our group.
College of Licensed Practical Nurses – Michael has been asked to come talk. This contact is also involved with the National LPN program. Much of the contact staff will be LPNs.
EGALE – no news yet if Alvin has been selected to serve on this national committee.
Feds – Michael advised there is no money from the apology funds work and will follow up with New Horizons for Federal money for the Winnipeg National Conference for local groups working with LGBTQ seniors.
Calgary – no new information
Alberta Health Services – Larry advised that they have not met over the summer and there is no new information on the videos.
- Pegasis and Sage – Larry discussed Pegasis which is designed to deal with seniors isolation and handed out the fridge magnets advertising Seniors Centre without walls. Join a scheduled program 1.866.279.1594 (enter passcode 381232#) or to Speak with Programming Staff: 780.395.2626.
Phone – Heather Drouin has organised the first Wednesday of the month from 4 to 4:30pm for members of the EPSG to call in and be available for the Seniors Centre without Walls, teleconference. Larry, Michael, Laurie, Ernie, Jan, Blair and Alvin will take part. Any other members are invited to join if they wish. Just follow the join a scheduled program instructions, call in at 4 and enter the passcode.
Presentations at Sage – a volunteer is needed to organize 3 to 4 sessions targeted at allies and presented monthly. It is difficult to reach isolated seniors and it is believed that one way of bringing them in is in allies who can recommend them. Eric will take the lead on this. Alvin, Larry and Blair are willing to participate.
- Website – Slow going. Still learning the software and finding the time. Jan will contact all members to ask what they want listed on the webpage.
Laurie could provide assistance with contacting service providers.
Laurie attended the International Federation on Aging conference in Toronto. Australia was a good example where service providers must treat LGBTQ equally. Rainbow tick is a voluntary type of accreditation for service providers. Maybe the college could be part of this in Edmonton.
Eric – in the fall will focus on a campaign to contact other seniors’ accommodations.
Michael – Proposal through Edmonton Community Foundation is almost complete.
Next Meeting – Sept 10/18
Next Next Meeting – Oct 8/18
Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz