Edmonton Pride Seniors Group Notes at SAGE – Jan 17, 2019
Attendees: Larry Jewell, James Lavoy, Thais McKee, Michael Phair, Quinn Posch, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader, Eric Storey; Laurie Winder and Daisy.
Regrets: Sydney Goss (on leave), Dave Gilbert, Tammy Horne, Ken MacDonald, Blair MacKinnon, Robert Smith
1. Welcome and Introductions – Welcome.
2. Housing Feasibility Study Update – The committee met with the architect on Jan 11 at Comunitas. He is designing based on the information we provided in the three hour meeting. We will meet on Jan 31 to review. Financials are done and there are a couple of choice locations. The report will be completed in time for the city deadline.
3. SAGE workshop on Inclusion Grant – Laurie’s staff member went to this workshop on Jan 9. Federal grant for 5 years with a big evaluation component. New Horizons also has a grant. Eric will follow up with Bernice.
4. Federal New Horizon Project (Ottawa, Winnipeg etc) – Tri city proposal has no opportunity for the 3 cities. A smaller $30 to $50K grant is available. Michael will prepare an application with the focus on inclusion and middle age and senior intergenerational opportunities.
5. City Intergenerational Booklet – The city want to rename it to “Telling the story of LGBTQ2S+ Connections Across Generations”.
6. Website – Education module to be placed in the members only section
7. GEF – Eric proposed adapting the North Texas Survey (see attached) to Edmonton housing providers and publishing the results in the SAGE directory of senior services. Eric approached North Texas regarding use of the survey but has not had a response yet. Tami can help with the restructuring. Larry will pass this on to Michele Taylor. Hopefully we can get this in Care Standards that is evaluated by Alberta Health Services.
Eric will present at the ICCR March meeting in Edmonton and April meeting in Calgary.
Michael will follow up on the program presentation with CEF staff. Peni Christopher is available to speak.
8. Pride Center – Quinn expects to hear on the “aging well & community grant” for a senior outreach worker grant request at the end of January.
Jan 19 /19 is the Pride Gala at the Alberta Art Gallery.
Lidia Homes is sponsoring an intergenerational dinner in April for the Edm General Hopsital Edm Seniors Centre.
9. Other – Michael and Alvin are speaking next Tuesday at the Provincial Geriatric Grand Rounds. Michele Taylor will be recording the session. The session is on “Providing safer and healthier and more welcoming continuing care for LGBTQ2S+ clients.
Alvin and Michael have a meeting on January 30 with the College of LPNs (Licensed Practical Nurses) and HCAs (Health Care Aids) of Alberta. Alvin met a staff member at the Voices Conference last June.
The Alberta Health Services booklet has left the committee and gone to the formatting people. 2 booklets, a video and a FAQ sheet are being produced.
“Seniors Without Walls”LGBTQ monthly phone in session happened on Wednesday Jan 9/19. No public yet. Advertising is working.
Next Meeting – 4:30 Feb 4, 2019
Next Next Meeting – 4:30 March 4, 2019
Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz
Attachments for January 17, 2019 Notes