June 3, 2019

Edmonton Pride Seniors Group Notes at SAGE – June 3, 2019 (no May meeting)


Attendees: Dave Gilbert, Larry Jewell, Michael Phair, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader, Robert Smith, Michelle Smook, Eric
Storey, Laurie Winder.
Regrets: Sydney Goss (on leave), Tammy Horne, James Lavoy, Ken MacDonald, Blair MacKinnon, Thais McKee, Quinn Posch

  1. Welcome and Introductions –
  2. Housing Update – Robert reported that while in discussion with the funder regarding the leftover amount, the funder
    granted an additional amount added to the surplus to total $25K for the next phase of the study. The subcommittee will
    meet next Thursday. The consultant will prepare the next steps which should include who will run the facility, where is it
    located, what will EPSG involvement look like, existing or new construction options etc.
  3. Website – Michael will discuss with Alex that possibility of a complete social media presence. There are some funds from
    both the housing and the tri city projects.
  4. Tri City Project – The subcommittee has met 3 times and held a focus session let by Ann Goldblat that included project
    success factors, sourcing of LGBTQ2S, sourcing the isolated seniors etc. The next meeting will be June 12. There is money
    for a staff person and for a video.
    The official Ottawa announcement was held by Randy and other groups also received $. Two Ontario universities are
    researching a practicing model. More funds are available as this is now a new fiscal year.
  5. Edmonton Pride Week –Pride Wine tasting on Thursday at Devines. The proceeds will go to EPSG.
    Edmonton Vocal Minority is on June 15 at the Westbury Theatre 8pm.
    Ashbourne is hosting GeriActors on Tuesday June 11 at 7pm.
    Pride Centre Update – tabled till next meeting. Voting memberships are now $25 r/t $300 in the past.
    Strawberry Tea on Thursday June 13 from 1-3 at SAGE.
  6. Other
    -Eric will meet with Edm Coordinating Council on June 19/19 in an effort to bring all intergenerational/crossgenerational
    hubs together.
  • Alvin has been appointed as a member of EGALE. There are good staff and contacts through this national organization.
  • Alvin advised that the provincial Seniors Advocate is back from medical leave and has formed a community advisory group,
    which he was invited to join.
  • Alvin will soon be stepping down from TREC. Michelle is interested in continuing. Alvin and Michael will follow up.
    Qmunity Vancouver group has lost their seniors outreach worker but he is still with EGALE.
  • Larry – needs help publicizing the seniors without walls GLBTQ2S phone in sessions on the first Wednesday of the month.
    The time has changed to 4:30 now r/t 4:00. Oliver primary Care may be a source of seniors.
    Next Meeting – 4:30 Aug 12 if required
    Next Next Meeting – 4:30 Sept 9, 2019 –
    Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz

https://www.epsg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/2019-06-03-EPSG-Committee-Notes.pdf