LGBTT Seniors Housing Notes at SAGE – May 25, 2015
Attendees: Dave Gilbert, Alexis Hillyard Thais McKee, Michael Phair, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader, Robert Smith, Eric Story,
Regrets: Julian Daly, Larry Jewell, Mickey Wilson
- Grants/finances –Still awaiting all invoices from the last grant before a financial report can be prepared.
- Grey Matters – Eric and Michael were not invited to participate this year as the conference has a different focus. They will be considered for 2016.
- Follow Up
– Volunteers – All volunteers that expressed interest at the symposium were contacted.
– Inclusive spaces grant application – Michael sent in the grant application to Age Friendly Edmonton to develop educational training materials for front line workers to create inclusive spaces for GLBTQ older persons. Expects to hear the results shortly.
– Marginalized groups – still need more thought and work on marginalized groups
- Inclusive Spaces
– Sage – Roger from Sage is supportive for the project.
– Information gathering – Members are to collect relevant material for the contracted person.
See attached for additional information. Members are to submit links and if possible comments on which sections are relevant for the contracted person. Jan will keep a running list.
Larry has contacted Ottawa for their material
Michael has contacted Portland
Thaya will contact New York Sage
Eric has a LBGT Tool kit from Toronto
Robert has Lit Review and will follow up on UK links
Michael distributed the Catie HIV and aging booklet
– Contracted Person – need a job description and to coordinate hiring with Sage. Michael and Alvin will work on that. –
- Marginalized groups
– Support – Three volunteers will assist with the subcommittee. Cindy, Judy and Tammy.
– Members –Dave will lead with support from Mickey. Dave will contact Mickey for original vision.
Terms of reference could focus on groups that were missed. 80+, low economic, no aboriginal, very little trans, health and HIV etc. There may be others.
Poverty in Seniors conversation cafe hosted by ESCC on June 17 1-3:30 at St Michaels Health Group 7404 139 Ave. see attached.
Will look to participate at the 2016 Pride.
Eric will target Alberta Gerontological Association in the fall. This is a mostly professionals organisation.
- Next Meeting –June 15 at SAGE at 4:00 pm. Will need a contract and to solidify links.
Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz