LGBTT Seniors Housing Notes at SAGE – Nov 25, 2015
Attendees: Dave Gilbert, Alexis Hillyard, Thais McKee , Michael Phair, Jan Schmitz, Eric Story
Regrets: Julian Daly, Larry Jewell, Alvin Schrader, Robert Smith, Mickey Wilson.
- Notes from Oct 21 – no changes.
- Ottawa Survey – postponed for Larry and Alvin.
- Marginalized group- Dave advised that the group met on Nov 4. See attached notes of meeting.
- Education Training Project – A midway meeting will be set up with Kristy in January.
- Housing –
Alvin – Met with the 519 Centre in Toronto. They have policies and a manual and the city has updated the manual. There is not much additional information available. No separate organization or housing.
Robert – postponed.
Michael – Made inquiries on Airport lands. No information to present at this time.
There does not seem to be much else going on in Canada. Some initial discussions percolating in Halifax and St, John.
- EGALE – Canadian National Seniors Advisory Committee – Mathew approached Michael regarding forming an advisory group working out of Toronto. Alvin met with Mathew. Committee is at concept stage. Mathew is in transition. Will ponder if there is a need to advocate at a federal level.
- Other – “Walk With Me” Walk in March – We are presenting in it thanks to Michael
– March 10-11, 2016 in Edmonton
– Thea, Alvin and Michael are presenting
Tasked with finding people who would like to share their experiences with being in care and in the closet or having difficulties being out
#11 – Opportunity: Ensure annual training and evaluation of person –centered care at the organization and system level.
WE ARE SUGGESTING 14 POINTS.
Demonstrate appreciation on competency to address cultural diversity and tradition, as well as gender awareness to the needs of the LBGTQ population
Final to be released hopefully in January/February
- Next Meeting – Monday January 18, 4:30pm at SAGE.
Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz