Edmonton Pride Seniors Group Notes at SAGE – November 4, 2019
Attendees: Larry Jewell, Blair MacKinnon, Thais McKee, Michael Phair, Jan Schmitz, Alvin Schrader, Robert Smith, Michelle Smook, Eric Storey, John Toogood.
Regrets: Dave Gilbert, Sydney Goss (on leave), Tammy Horne, James Lavoy, D J Murray, Colin Simpson, Laurie Winder, Alex McNally.
1. Welcome and Introductions – Larry Derkach will join the group in December.
2. Federal Elections, Provincial Budget – Michael will continue to research who best to contact as there is no Federal Representative from Edmonton. Ministers expect to be sworn in late November. Since the Provincial budget was released, the seniors advocate position has been terminated. Pride Center funding may be affected.
3. Housing Phase 2 Update – The focus group meeting last Saturday. The group is larger and congealing. Roles and duties are being defined. Robert will continue discussions with Arts Habitant.
4. Tri City Project –
– ESPG and Senior Coordinating Council – Thais reported EPSG, the Ashbourn and Connecting Edmonton Seniors hosted a Conversation Café on October 19/19. Social Isolation was the major theme. Results of the group discussions are being analysed. Word of mouth is the most trusted form of communication.
– Project update –Michelle reported that she and Thais met with Rob Grant (Saskatoon Older Adult program coordinator with Out Saskatoon and Ellie Caslake from Winnipeg Rainbow Centre. Saskatoon has a monthly coffee chat that Rob has used to promote other programs and social activities. Winnipeg has funding for older adult programs. There was value in sharing information. Both organizations were interested in the Aging with Pride phone in program on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays and there was discussion of expanding it to include western Canada. Randy Boissonnault was interested in this network. See attached poster.
– Winnipeg Concluding Meeting – Alvin and Michael are seeking additional funding for a final meeting. Will include a facilitator, an evening reception, and a symposium.
– EGALE – tabled till next meeting.
– Website – Alex has disappeared. Need suggestions for a replacement.
Next Meeting – 4:30 December 2, 2019
Next Next Meeting – 4:30 January 6, 2020
Next Next Next Meeting – 4:30 February 3, 2020
Notes prepared by Jan Schmitz